- Matthew Bacon as Mr Jack Manningham
- Maddie Butler as Mrs Bella Manningham
- Charlie Potter as Detective Rough
- Emily Tickner as Nancy
- Kath Lang as Elizabeth
The play is set in fog-bound London in 1880, at the upper middle class home of Jack Manningham and his wife Bella. It is late afternoon, a time that Hamilton notes as the time “before the feeble dawn of gaslight and tea.”
Bella is clearly on edge, and the stern reproaches of her overbearing husband (who flirts with the servants) make matters worse. What most perturbs Bella is Jack’s unexplained disappearances from the house: he will not tell her where he is going, and this increases her anxiety. It becomes clear that Jack is intent on convincing Bella that she is going insane, even to the point of assuring her she is imagining that the gas light in the house is dimming.
The appearance of a police detective called Rough leads Bella to realise that Jack is responsible for her torment. Rough explains that the apartment above was once occupied by one Alice Barlow, a wealthy woman who was murdered for her jewels but that the murderer never found them.
Jack goes to the flat each night to search for the jewels, and lighting the apartment’s gas lights causes the lights to dim in the rest of the building. His footsteps in the supposedly empty apartment persuade Bella that she is “hearing things.” Rough convinces Bella to assist him in exposing Jack as the murderer, which she does, but not before she takes revenge on Jack by pretending to help him escape. At the last minute she reminds him that, having gone insane, she is not accountable for her actions. The play closes with Jack being led away by the police.
- “Brilliant Show in an unusual setting, but it worked fantastically. Will definitely be back …. Well done all you at LADS. It was well worth the hour plus drive each way”
- “had a really wonderful time, all of the cast played their part brilliantly, just loved the atmosphere in the Tractor Shed, lovely (and very reasonable) refreshments and everyone so friendly. We will definitely be coming to future productions”
- “First timers tonight and was absolutely enthralled. Fantastic production. Thank you for a brilliant evening, we will definitely be attending in the future”
- “Excellent production of Gaslight tonight. Review will be forthcoming but for now a huge thank you to the lovely friendly FOH team who made us feel so welcome.”
- “The performance was amazing you should be so proud”